Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7565) Server output directory

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7565) Server output directory
From: "Per Inge Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 14:41:00 -0700

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> The last patch allows you to output logs, gamelogs and savegames to a
> directory of your choice. I am not very happy with it, though, as it
> doesn't allow you to change this output directory while running, and this
> is a necessary feature with restart-able servers

AFAIK, pubserver restarts the server for each game, and creates a new
directory with a unique game number as name for it. This is in trouble now
that I have made civserver restartable without quitting.

So I think we should move some of this pubserver functionality inside the
server.

What do we need?

I suggest a server sandbox directory variable, given as a -s/--sandbox
command line option (default being current directory). If this directory
variable is set, then whenever a new game is started, it searches this
directory for a unique, non-existent directory number, creates it and puts
every file it outputs in there. It tells every player who joins about this
game number.

Furthermore, when the server sandbox variable is set, the /load command
changes syntax into <game number:turn>, and becomes a CTRL level command
instead of a HACK level command.

We also should change /rulesetdir command so that it can only search for
rulesets from inside the sandbox.

This way we will solve the restart problem and allow pubserver players to
load saves.

  - Per