Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: granary size

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: granary size
From: use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 01:29:00 +0800

From: "Per I. Mathisen" <pim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I am looking at the code that determines a city's "granary size", the food
> necessary to grow, and I fail completely to understand why the code is
> written the way it is.
>
> The current code was added in PR#635, "Patch: generalized granary size".

I actually modified it further in PR#6973.

The foodbox rules are hard to read because they depend on a server variable,
foodbox, and everything is multiplied by that value.  granary_size_inc is
actually a percentage of foodbox.

The set of initial foodbox sizes are for future Civ 3 support, as the
foodbox there doesn't grow linearly with city size, and instead goes
20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 40, 40, 40, 40, 40, 40, 60.

> I want to try to experiment a little with different granary sizes, but I
> find the current ruleset options a little hard to manipulate, so I am
> considering rewriting it.

I take responsibility for making it ugly. :)  Though I mostly kept it ugly
for purposes of backwards compatibility, which was probably a bad idea.

Also, I would actually like to finally have a definite split with the terms
foodbox and granary, to me the foodbox is where the food goes, and the
granary is an improvement,

-James Canete
http://www.ign.com
Upgrade to Premium IGN Email