Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: inexplicable generate_packets error

To: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: inexplicable generate_packets error
From: Raimar Falke <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:00:35 +0200

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 02:10:03AM -0400, Jason Dorje Short wrote:
> >>And realize these string types are fundamentally different.  Someday the
> >>TEXT packets could use UTF-16.  But the ASCII packets will always be
> >>ascii.
> >

> >I don't see the problem handling both types the same way. I.e. you
> >wrap your ascii strings in UTF-16 and dewrap them at the receiving
> >side.
>
> But how do you know which are which?

A assume that the internal encoding for the server is known and may be
different to the network encoding. So you have to convert both types
anyway.

> And why do you want to turn ascii into utf-16 and double the network
> packet size?

Because it is better for the maintainability that you only have one
type. It may be better to use utf-8 for the network. Tests have to
done.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx