Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: inexplicable generate_packets error

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: inexplicable generate_packets error
From: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 02:10:03 -0400

Raimar Falke wrote:
On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 02:25:38PM -0400, Jason Dorje Short wrote:

Raimar Falke wrote:

The type dataio type "string" is hardcoded.

So I see.  It takes this patch to make the change fully.

I think the patch is the wrong direction. There just should not be two
string types.

Perhaps. But the current method of put_conv_callback/get_conv_callback is broken because it converts all strings, including those which shouldn't be converted. This can break the GTK client if the network charset is not a superset of ASCII (which probably never happens).

So the alternative is to make these conversions manually for ALL relevant packet fields. This can be done either when sending/receiving the packets or when writing/reading data from the GUI. Either will take many times more code.

And realize these string types are fundamentally different. Someday the TEXT packets could use UTF-16. But the ASCII packets will always be ascii.

I don't see the problem handling both types the same way. I.e. you
wrap your ascii strings in UTF-16 and dewrap them at the receiving
side.

But how do you know which are which?

And why do you want to turn ascii into utf-16 and double the network packet size?

jason