Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8487) RFC: hex tilesets

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8487) RFC: hex tilesets
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:04:14 -0700

Jason Short wrote:

>>[andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx - Sun Apr 11 20:04:17 2004]:
>
>>What dimensions should the normal hex tiles be?
>>Maybe I can update isophex to the latest CVS code, and include hex tiles
>>in it also.
>
> Hmm.  All I can really say is that they should be as close to a circle
> as possible.

Not necessarily true, though probably advisable at the current time to work
with current units and other tile addins. Scaling of "X" vs "Y" is probably
something one would like to experiment with before hardcoding one option,
though.

A 3-Dish hex map (or any other) might have a 30 degree tilt to the N-S
direction with compressed "Y" scale, i.e. a parallelogram vs rectangular
view window. But units and internal graphics code would need to be changed
to handle this. It would be a neat future extension, and thus one should try
not to do things in a way that blocked such evolution.

[...]
> A good way to test this would be to get the code running.  Then you
> could edit the top-level tilespec values and see how the hexagon looked
> (in the map grid) without actually making any new tiles.

Yes.

> jason

Cheers,
RossW