Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7493) removing capes from non-iso view

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7493) removing capes from non-iso view
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:46:09 -0800

I want to remove the drawing of capes from orthogonal-view tilesets.

The capes are drawn like this: on an ocean tile, if the tile east of us
has ocean and the tile north of us has ocean but the tile northeast of
us does NOT have ocean, the northeast cape is drawn.  This is done via a
NSEW single-cell matched sprite, so 15 (2^4-1) different sprites are needed.

My reasons for wanting to remove it are twofold.

First, this method of drawing is inferior.  In iso-view tilesets we have
cell-based drawing methods which are MUCH superior and don't take
substantially more work.  Orthogonal-view tilesets should use this
algorithm rather than having a separate one.

Second, with current tilesets the capes are practically usused.  Take a
look at a snapshot of isotrident with and without the capes:

   http://freeciv.org/~jdorje/capes.png
   http://freeciv.org/~jdorje/nocapes.png

the circled areas are the places where the capes are (or would be)
drawn.  As you can see the two methods are nearly indistinguishable -
the only difference is that the capes are slightly darker.

Ultimately what I want to do is merge the iso and non-iso view drawing
algorithms.  It is easy enough to do this (porting the iso-view
ocean-drawing method to non-iso view).  But I just don't see why we'd
want to keep the old cape-drawing method.  Any non-iso tileset that
wants to get better results should do so by using the iso-view algorithm.

jason