[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6174) Loading transports

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6174) Loading transports
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 03:04:19 -0800

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 06:36:57PM -0800, Jason Short wrote:
> Which unit is the "first" unit?  The ground transporter carries the
> ground unit.  Presumably the sea transporters don't carry anything.  The
> current code is ill-equipped to handle sea transporters, or any
> transport that has the possibility to be recursive.
>
> Perhaps the best way to solve this is to give a "size" or "weight" to
> units and limit the maximum capacity of the transport in those terms.
> Another alternative is a can_be_transported flag for unit types (however
> this has big problems, I think).
>
> Hmm, maybe the best way is to abstract away the "ground" versus "sea"
> carrying into carry types.  Each transporter lists the types of units it
> can carry, and each unit lists the type(s?) of transporters it can carry.

I think this is an orthogonal issue. The original plan was to change
the interface to make it more clear. Your idea adds limitation to be
more similar to real-life.

I think the original plan should be carried out. It should be checked
if your idea adds any game elements/makes the game more fun.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Reality? That's where the pizza delivery guy comes from!"