[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7276) Wishlist

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7276) Wishlist
From: "caspar-freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <caspar-freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:19:10 -0800

Hello there,

at the moment I am managing more than 200 cities and about 1000 units.
I don't use CMA for there is no need to.  Almost everything is ok.  A
few things I miss more or less terribly though:

1. I'd like to see an option to destroy old units.  To find the last
warrior within about 100 cities isn't that funny.

2. I'd like to manage the selection list of city improvements.

2.1. I allow space race but don't build space units myself.  So I don't
want to see it's components at all.  I only build a very small subset of
unit types, I don't need the other.  I'd like to set these things on
nation's level.

2.2. Although I preferably build my cities on coasts I only build ships
in very few of them.  I'd like to manage that as well.  This would be on
city level.

3. I'd like to establish some kind of automatic ferry transfer between
islands.  So I'd like to tell my carriers to go one single route forth
and back, all the time, if there are units to carry or not.

4. To get the units offboard one has to stop one field before the city,
wake up all units and then carry them into the city.  That is very
annoying if it's 30 or more units every single turn.  I don't know how
to improve this.

4.1 One thing one could make better is to differ between "waiting for a
ship to carry one somewhere" and "keeping an eye on hostile units".  In
cities I do that ferry transfer I either don't have a guard, use planes
or ships as guards, or I have to pay attention every time the carrier
leaves the city.  I'd like to use guards especially if the given city is
in reach of enemies' units.  At the moment I solve the problem by having
two defending units and a spy in the city, all three fortified.  And as
guard I use a ship or a plane.

5. I'd like to use air carriers and trains to carry units on large
distances.  While the air transporter would be used to temprarily handle
terrain like mountains, swamps or ocean, the trains should be able to
carry rockets (maybe also be able to launch from there) but more
important large amounts of units at one time from one city to another
one far away.  It's boring to have a dozen of units to shuffle around
all the same way.

6. I'd like to build bridges and tunnels.  Terraforming is a nice thing
but to connect two islands that way just to build a railway isn't the
best thing.

7. I'd like to build some kind of radar or buoys to extend sight.  At
the moment I have chains of ships to keep an eye on bigger gaps between
islands.

And while we are at it:

8. I'd like to see ressources change with time.  A coalmine becomes
empty and before the necessary level of science I can't find uranium.
And the units should depend more on the ressources one has.

9. I'd like to have animals and game be more "active".  It should walk
around, push the city fields earnings for a while and afterwards one has
to rebuild irrigation.  Wild animals should be hunted and carried to
cities, on the other side make exploration more dangerous.

10. It's a small step towards refugees which walk around and maybe build
up a new nation.

11. I'd like to have oil wells on the ocean.  First to only be able to
build oil rigs in cities where oil effectively is in reach and second to
have special units to exploit oil fields far from any city.

Ok, that is a very long list of wishes.  There are more to come.

bye

caspar