[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7125) [FS] Widget set

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7125) [FS] Widget set
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 03:10:20 -0800

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 11:13:31AM -0800, Raimar Falke wrote:

I have a problem and various options and would like you comment.

The problem is how to store the parts of an element. A scrollbar for
example consists of 3 or 4 elements (I'm assuming here a veritical
scrollbar):
 - all elements have the same width
 - a top element (height>=1)
 - a repeating element (height=1)
 - a bottom element (height>=1)
 - an optional center element (the knob) (height>=1)

The question is now how these are stored:

1) in 4 different files with a common prefix
2) in the same file in hardcoded places (hard too guess their size)
3) in the same file with a seperator (like transparent pixels)
4) in the same file with a config file denoting their place and size

1) and 4) are IMHO too much hassle for the artist. I'm currently using
2). But I haven't implemented the optional center elements which makes
2) easy. 3) has a prolem when the elements itself contain transparent
pixel.

A similar problem arises for buttons. But here 2) is very easy: just
put the buttons for the 4 states vertically:
http://freeciv.org/~rfalke/fs3_pics/connect-button.png.

The SDL client uses a mix of 4) and 2).

Any suggestions?

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Sit, disk, sit. Good boy. Now spin up. Very good. Here's a netscape