[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Betr: [USENET] Civ Games Comparison Table

To: CapTVK <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Betr: [USENET] Civ Games Comparison Table
From: Raimar Falke <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 22:07:56 +0100

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:13:35AM +0100, CapTVK wrote:
> Why, it even has Imperium listed! Last of the great space empire number
> crunchers.
> :)
> Nice if you liked that sort of thing and it may still offer some solutions
> to some of the ICS issues (small pox).
>

> For instance, your space empire had an average tech level based on
> the tech level of various planets. Your first few planets would
> start out with an average tech level. Once you started expanding
> your avg would drop as you shipped citizens from high tech planets
> to new ones. The weapons systems/ships you could design were based
> on the avg tech level of your entire empire.  So it was wise to
> crank up your avg tech while still small and build some advanced
> designs. Then you could start to expand. BUT, you could only build
> those ships on a planet with a high enough tech level! So rapid
> expansion would come result in a much lower tech avg (poor/less
> productive/ low tech planets which could only build simple
> weapon/ship designs) Or you could go for a smaller high tech
> approach (rich/highly productive/high tech planets which can build
> advanced weapons/ships.

Can you explain this in more detail? I assume Imperium's "planet" is
very similar to Freeciv's "city". Did every planet had its own
research (i.e. the research was not pooled) ("Planet Mars research
Warp-tech")? Or was it more that all research points ever produces
were pooled and divided by the current number of planets? Or was it a
two step thing: you first had to research a tech and later somehow
enable it to use it?

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Microsoft DNS service terminates abnormally when it recieves a response