[Freeciv-Dev] Re: homepage plan : Typo3?

To: rt@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: homepage plan : Typo3?
From: thomas@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 00:37:53 +0100

Hi there,

It's nice to see the subject of an improved homepage coming up again. I
see that the content management system has been brought up again. Has anyone
tried Typo3 yet? According to the Kasper Skarhoj (the creator) : "the boeing
747 of CMS
.

It's a CMS written in PHP4. At start it's a bit more daunting because creating
content and design (stylesheets/layout) are two seperate entities. I wouldn't
use it for a personal homepage but for a community project like freeciv
it's perfect. I
 would fit in very well with Freeciv and it's multiple language
mirror sites. It also has various extensions and the documentation seems
very good (even training videos).

We could set up ourselves but I think it's wiser to get a webhost who does

t for you. At work I was recommended a cheap ($90 Can/year) canadian service
(cablan.net) that also sets up typo3 for you. That would save the Freeciv
community a lot of time and effort trying to do it ourselves. We should
be able to cover the yearly fee with the Freeciv donations.

Check

www.typo3.org (developers & community site, extensions & documentation
www.typo3.com (main site with examples (mostly european websites) and case
studies)