[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7104) Windows GTK+ isotrident documentation error?

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7104) Windows GTK+ isotrident documentation error?
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 01:09:27 -0800

I am using Per Inge Mathisen's Freeciv 1.14.1 (GTK+) for Windows.

I'm using the GTK+ runtime provided by http://www.dropline.net/gtk/
as per the README given on the Freeciv download webpage.
ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/packages/windows/freeciv-1.14.1-README.txt
This README, incidentally, is not in the package itself.  Although I
know Windows development is probably now focused on Native Win32, it
would help some unwary soul if the GTK+ package actually used in the
build was specified.  Between Cygwin, MinGW, and whatever people might
try to compile from scratch, there are a number of ways to use the wrong
one.  Anyways, this isn't the actual documentation error I'm
reporting...

[quoted from the Freeciv README.txt]

Another option for the client you may like to try is the '--tiles'
  option, which can be used to select different "tilesets" (that is,
  different graphics for the map terrain, units, and so on).  The
  distribution comes with 2 main tilesets:
  - isotrident: An isometric tileset similar in shape to the one in civ
2.
    (not yet supported by the Xaw client.)
  - trident: a civ1-style tileset with 30x30 tiles.
    The trident tileset has a variant called "trident_shields".

  In this release the isotrident tileset is the default in the GTK+,
  amiga, and win32 clients, while the Xaw client has trident as default.

[/quote]

This would lead one to belive that any GTK+ client can support the
isotrident tileset, including the Windows GTK+ client.

Now, when I actually run the Windows GTK+ client and try "--tiles
isotrident," it says "Client does not support isometric tilesets. Using
default tileset instead."  The \data directory doesn't contain the
isotrident files, so this packaging looks deliberate.  When I provide
the isotrident files, nothing changes... guess that error message is
serious, eh!

So... is the documentation wrong, or is the Windows GTK+ client compiled
and packaged incorrectly?

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.