[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6978) A New Intro Graphic?

To: bhuang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6978) A New Intro Graphic?
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 16:19:41 -0800

Guest wrote:

> Attached is a proposed design of a new intro.xpm,
>
> Please let me know if this design will be considered or could be enhanced.

We have a translation problem with including complex text in the intro
graphics.

Currently the text 'Freeciv' needs no translation, and is on the
graphics in its own Freeciv-like font.  The "'cause civililization
should be free" part is translated and written to the image at runtime.

First, this means that if you use the new image with a current client,
you'll get blue text over your image.  Not good.  Code changes are
needed to allow *any* change.

Changing the text is possible: we could put the text in the tileset file
and continue to translate it.  Moving it is also possible: put the
location where it is to be drawn.  Specifying the color would be easy
enough.  Multiple text fields, varying alignments, changed fonts, or
multi-line text are also possible but progressively more complex.

One choice is to take the intro graphics out of the tileset and have
them handled directly by the GUI (as part of its theme).  Then it is up
to the GUI code to draw the extra text, or load this information from
some .rc file.

Another choice is to abandon translation of this text.  But I think most
players (i.e., non-english-speakers) will not like this.

jason