[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6669) Topology and generators

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6669) Topology and generators
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 05:39:33 -0800

Jason Short wrote:

>>[rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx - Thu Nov 06 17:06:46 2003]:
>>Jason Short wrote:
>>
>>>[rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx - Fri Oct 31 16:27:06 2003]:
[...]
> You're also the only one (AFAIK) opposed to hard-coding the lack of
> poles into mapgen.  Please either give a stronger argument (some code
> would help) or accept my patch (it need not be a permanent situation;
> that's up to the serious mapgen coders).
>
> jason

Got it wrong again, Jason.

I have no problem with having polar options that depend on latitude,
temperature or some reasonable parameters. I do think the Civ compatibility
option for the top and bottom two lines is a separate polar concept and
should remain a single choice both in split from the main continents and
its terrain features. Its version of poles and your recent implementation
hacks are badly flawed for a general feature and a true polar option should
be RFC'd and dealt with.appropriately, not by a hack.

When you show you understand how separatepoles works (i.e. number of
continents and such), or what the original Civ compatibilty rules should
be, then maybe your arguments would have more merit as an alternative. But
your alternative is still badly flawed in its own right and will make a
proper solution much more difficult.

In so far as this patch goes in the wrong directions, it should be scrapped
and you should try again.

Cheers,
RossW
=====