[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6669) Topology and generators

To: ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6669) Topology and generators
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:06:47 -0800

Jason Short wrote:
> [rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx - Fri Oct 31 16:27:06 2003]:
>
>>Separatepoles means there (are/)is a special polar continent(s) not
>>joined to any regular one.
>
> Correct.
>
>>If turned off there is no polar option required,
> just
>>regular continent building that can now reach the map edges, and the
> special
>
>>rule for Arctic and Tundra at map edges is turned off.
>
> Um, no.  That's not what separatepoles means at all.  It just means
> make_passable() is bypassed and there is no need for the poles to be
> _separate_.  They still exist.

No, Jason. Think it through again.

Your "Poles" is the new aspect, rather than the original compatibility
behaviour that separatepoles turned on/off.

> Why one would want such an option I'm not sure of.  But I do believe
> that SMAC compatability would want to disable separatepoles while
> generally leaving poles turned on.

Not really true. The Civ compatibility is something different from a
temperature gradient that tailored polar tile types. It is the latter
you probably want for SMAC.

Don't screw things up by trying to fragment the compatibility option.
It really doesn't have good subparts - just leave it as a single Civ
poles vs no separatepoles.

> jason

Cheers,
RossW