[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6669) Topology and generators

To: ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6669) Topology and generators
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 17:09:25 -0800

> [rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx - Thu Nov 06 17:06:46 2003]:
>

> Jason Short wrote:
> > [rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx - Fri Oct 31 16:27:06 2003]:
> >
> >>Separatepoles means there (are/)is a special polar continent(s) not
> >>joined to any regular one.
> >
> > Correct.
> >
> >>If turned off there is no polar option required,
> > just
> >>regular continent building that can now reach the map edges, and the
> > special
> >
> >>rule for Arctic and Tundra at map edges is turned off.
> >
> > Um, no.  That's not what separatepoles means at all.  It just means
> > make_passable() is bypassed and there is no need for the poles to be
> > _separate_.  They still exist.
>
> No, Jason. Think it through again.
>
> Your "Poles" is the new aspect, rather than the original compatibility
> behaviour that separatepoles turned on/off.

You're going to have to do better than that, Ross.  I've already asked
you to look at the existing code and/or try it out.  You can't simply
tell me I'm wrong when all evidence shows that I am right.

You're also the only one (AFAIK) opposed to hard-coding the lack of
poles into mapgen.  Please either give a stronger argument (some code
would help) or accept my patch (it need not be a permanent situation;
that's up to the serious mapgen coders).

jason