[Freeciv-Dev] Re: unit animation

To: Arnstein Lindgard <a-l@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: unit animation
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 20:37:24 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Arnstein Lindgard wrote:
> He he, you're right, C++ is probably very useful. PG2 is a great
> isometric strategy game, while "Panzer General 3D" is percieved by
> many as a mediocre game of a different genre; Does the flexible
> camera angle and true 3D-gfx add much to a strategy game? Firaxis
> says 1 million+ people play Civ 3, and it doesn't have much more
> sophisticated gfx than we can make in GTK !

Almost all the first-generation non-FPS 3D games were crap. There were a
lot of attempts to 3Dify known game concepts which failed miserably, in
particular for RTS games. Dune2000 - need I say more??

However, lately a number of very successful games have been made, which I
would consider second generation, that have put 3D to great use as a
replacement of the 2D graphics used previously. Warcraft 3, Neverwinter
Nights and C&C Generals are good examples. Common to these is that they
lock or limit the camera angles, and generally don't fuzz around too much
with the 3D perspectives and possibilities. Some of those early 3D RTS
games were dizzying to play... while others were just showcases of new
graphics capabilities where the 3D got in the way of the game.

  - Per