[Freeciv-Dev] Re: unit animation

To: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: unit animation
From: Arnstein Lindgard <a-l@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 20:20:44 +0100

Raimar Falke <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Apart from that i more and more like the idea of writing an OpenGL client
> > > for
> > > freeciv. I personally prefer C++ instead of C, so maybe this would be a
> > > good
> > > point to write an OOP client ? Yes, i know there are lots of good reasons
> > > use the existing freeciv code, but i think that this is already quite
> > > complex
> > > and difficult especially for newbies and will get even more confusing as
> > > more
> > > features, options, etc. are implemented. Going over to object oriented
> > > code
> > > could solve this problem, and since much of the code used in "2D" clients
> > > might be useless when using 3D graphics this could be the moment to do
> > > this.
> > > I already started some (very basic) coding in C++ using ClanLib (
> > > http://clanlib.org ). Please tell me if this the right way or not ...  :)
>
> > Before you put too much work in it, be sure to read reviews for
> > Panzer General II and Panzer General III, and compare them.
>
> Google doesn't find something for "Panzer General C++". So can you
> please more verbose?

He he, you're right, C++ is probably very useful. PG2 is a great
isometric strategy game, while "Panzer General 3D" is percieved by
many as a mediocre game of a different genre; Does the flexible
camera angle and true 3D-gfx add much to a strategy game? Firaxis
says 1 million+ people play Civ 3, and it doesn't have much more
sophisticated gfx than we can make in GTK !

Arnstein