Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6609) 1.14.1-beta1 gtk2 configure

To: rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6609) 1.14.1-beta1 gtk2 configure
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:08:15 -0800

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Guest wrote:

> This was a problem with debian 3.0 .
>
> Stable has : pango 1.0.1
> Freeciv needs : pango 1.0.5 but doesn't really check the version and
> returns an error. This error is not clearly indicating the failing
> dependency, I wish you can enhance this.
>
> I couldn't have two pango versions (one on /usr and one on /usr/local),
> so I updated pango and its dependencies to debian testing which has
> pango 1.2.5 . I hope I won't regret it.
>
> If there is an easier way to get this freeciv1.14.1 compatibility
> with debian, please tell me.
>
> I've made the last try with beta2.

You need to have compatible GTK+ 2.x and Pango versions installed.

FWIW I believe that was a package dependency problem in your distribution.
Usually each GTK+ 2.x version requires a specific Pango version. GTK+ will
not compile if you do not have that Pango version installed. Its configure
test fails. Perhaps you installed a newer version of GTK+ 2.x without
installing a corresponding new Pango package.

All GTK+ programs check for the GTK+ 2.x presence. The GTK+ 2.x install
checks for the presence of Pango and GLib. The dependencies work in this
fashion.

---