Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Does Womans Suffrage actualyl work?

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Does Womans Suffrage actualyl work?
From: Jason Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:57:02 -0400

Mark Metson wrote:
I keep getting the impression that Womans Suffrage isn't working. That was in the 1.13 that came with RedHat 8.0 but also in the 1.14 beta (not the 1.14.1 just announced since that isnt in RPM form yet that I know if so I cannot try it yet).

I have not rigorously examined this, maybe it just silently gives the benefit without mentioning it? I dont see it listed on the wonders line of the happiness display in the city management window. It is mentioning my cure for cancer and my Bach's Cathedral but it never says a word about the Suffrage. It seems like it just isn't applying it? It seems to me it used to work on my own machine with whatever version I used to use there, but ever since I started using this box - the household router box - both with the default 1.13 that came with RedHat 8.0 and with this 1.14 beta that I finally got working, I have never seen any noticable effect from the Suffrage Wonder. And I always build it. Its one of the ones the AI seems either to never be serious about building (just pretending its going to but never finishing it) or maybe just one of the ones I try harder to get than it does. Hmmm. This 1.14 eta managed to complete Shakespear's whereas the 1.13 never seemed to ever finish that, I would get way ahead, get my dam and suffrage, and even when I finally went for medicine to get my sewer systems and cure for cancer it still would not have ever actually bothered to complete its theatre so I'd end up grabbing that too. But the 1.14 does complete it.

Maybe it never bothered with suffrage because unlike me it already knew the thing doesn't work? :)

It definitely works. There is nothing to show up in the happiness display because this wonder just causes previous unhappiness effects (unhappiness of military units in the field) to simply disappear [1]. To see this in action compare two cities with and without police stations.

[1] It would probably be trivial to implement it the other way: have the workers still give unhappiness, but have the wonder provide additional happiness at an equivalent rate. This doesn't really seem worthwhile, but...

jason