Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6263) remove log spamming

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6263) remove log spamming
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:31:47 -0700

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 04:49:54AM -0700, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> > > See $subject. These freelogs were filling up my logs and making debugging
> > > (-d 4) crawl to a halt.
> >
> > That was before I pressed 'start'. Then the worst offender became CM by
> > far. It could easily fill up my hdd with its spamming over the course of
> > an autogame, I am sure. It also makes turn ends so slow it is impossible
> > to use -d4 now. There are so many stupid freelog calls in there that I
> > don't know what to do.
> >
> > Maybe we should define a new log level, which is just LOG_DEAD, which
> > never outputs anything at all, even at -d4? This way some log code can be
> > left there inactive without destroying completely the option of running
> > freeciv at -d4
>
> Why do you want to do that in the first place?
> LOG_DEBUG is like LOG_DEAD now, I don't see much difference.
>
> And if Raimar wanted to debug CMA tomorrow, he would claim that AI debug
> messages are spamming his logs.
>
> A good freelog call is equivalent to a good comment.

My solution to this problem is that I have central switch for the
log-level (cm.h, the delta patches for example) which allows me to
increase the amount of information I need if I work on this piece of
code. If other people want to use -d4 and my LOG_DEBUG are spamming
them I'm also for a LOG_DEAD level. However it is also possible that
the other people follow my idea and use a central log-level switch for
a certain code part. ai/ is implementing this with

ai/ailog.h:#define LOGLEVEL_BODYGUARD LOG_DEBUG
ai/ailog.h:#define LOGLEVEL_UNIT LOG_DEBUG
ai/ailog.h:#define LOGLEVEL_GOTO LOG_DEBUG
ai/ailog.h:#define LOGLEVEL_CITY LOG_DEBUG
ai/ailog.h:#define LOGLEVEL_BUILD LOG_DEBUG

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "How about the new language C&? No, that's not 'c ampersand', 'c reference',