Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] gtk clients: translate_menu_path

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] gtk clients: translate_menu_path
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:24:10 +0000 (GMT)

I just read an old profile of the gtk2 client done by Thomas, and I
noticed that 18% of CPU time was spent inside translate_menu_path(). This
is a function that is called once every menu item every turn, at least.

It is a quite expensive function. Is it not possible to make this function
calculate the result once only, and cache it? Surely the result does not
change throughout the game for the same set of input. How about putting
the translated string into hashlist, for instance? Alternatively, we could
the uses of it turn it into a macro, and make some fancy use of static
strings to hold this data. This would be even faster.

  - Per