Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6501) tririeme on "auto-attack"?

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6501) tririeme on "auto-attack"?
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 04:11:27 -0700

Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Jason Short wrote:
>

>>I had an exploring tririeme.  In the middle of the end-turn I set it to
>>goto to a new location where I wanted it to start exploring.  Then the
>>end-turn continued and it continued its exploration, overriding the
>>goto.  After this it appeared with an "A" symbol (rather than X or G).
>>Auto-attack?  I don't think so...
>

> I am not sure what does "in the middle of end-turn" mean.

I clicked end turn, then continued doing stuff in between turns.  I was
running the server under valgrind so it was much slower than the client.

>  But I suspect
> you sent a packet too late, trireme has moved by the time the packet was
> processed and as a result it got misinterpreted.

Yes.  I sent the packet before the trireme was moved (at least, before
the client knew about it), but naturally the server didn't start reading
such packets until the next turn started.

I believe this is a bug.  Certainly we should not get such odd behavior
in this case.  Probably the erronous packet should be detected and
discarded.  Most likely we should audit the server to do sanity-checking
on all received packets.

> What I am sure of is that the above is not the way to spell "trireme".

Hah.

jason