Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6458) wishlist: refugees

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6458) wishlist: refugees
From: "Benoit Hudson" <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:59:16 -0700

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 08:51:57AM -0700, John Wheeler wrote:
> Here I have a HUGE problem.  Refugees should NOT be able to build a
> city; getting that for no cost in shields would be a major problem.  (I
> could even imagine letting some barbarians attack me just to get the
> free refugees in that case.)

Barbarians would presumably have no compunction about killing refugees,
so your plan of action would not necessarily succeed.

> Also, regarding real-life, I don't think refugees were a problem until
> the modern era.

Actually, many of the barbarians that took down the Roman empire were
central asians being chased west by peoples to their east.  We just
don't get that kind of large-scale movement of a country in freeciv.

> Industrialization) for refugees.  Then, to satisfy people who don't want
> them, all you need to do is set the tech requirement in the ruleset to
> something impossible (like is done in the default ruleset with Fanatics
> or Fundamentalism, IIRC).  Would this be acceptable to the maintainers
> (assuming someone else were to do the coding)?  (In other words, if
> someone got such code working, would it be committed?  If not, there's
> not much point in pursuing this.)

Definitely, this should be easy to disable in the rulesets or even the
server options, and should likely be off for now.

I'm looking first for ideas of what to do with refugees, how they'd
alter game dynamics.  Your comment about leaving cities undefended is a
case in point.  I'm thinking of implementing it myself once I have an
idea of what might work (if someone wanted to collaborate I'd be quite
happy).

        -- Benoît