Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Idea about client side AI.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea about client side AI.
From: Tadeusz Andrzej Kadłubowski <yess@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:09:41 +0200

I know, that this feature is quite far on the freeciv roadmap, but I find it
particularily interesting. So how about that:

Use python as the scripting language for client side AI. Build the python
interpreter into the client and create a python module with all the functions
needed to interact with the game at the script level (mainly functions used to
send decisions to the server side, I guess) and givethe module access to all
client data structures. The users will be able to write scripts to automatize
as many elements of the game as they want, meanwhile still having control upon
the rest of it.

I have been thinking about it for a while (since spring), and after some
reading and a bit of practice in embedding the python interpreter in C, I
finally feel, that I can start implementing it.

Do you think it makes sense? What are your opinions about my idea? What are
your ideas about client side AI?

I'll write as soon as I have something done (if I am proud of that code.)
--
tadeusz a. kadlubowski