[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3565) End of turn moves

To: ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3565) End of turn moves
From: "John Wheeler" <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 07:50:58 -0700

--- "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 08:11:41PM -0700, John
> Wheeler wrote:
> >
> > [ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Fri Feb 28 19:03:32
> 2003]:
> Think you haven't played against a player who uses
> end of turn moves as strategy.

Not against a human who uses it as a strategy.  But
the AI has frequently sailed in from out of sight and
attacked my cities.  (Heck, that's one of my favorite
strategies!)

Actually, this is a fairly good point.  One of the
major reasons I don't play on pubserver is that I am
on a 56K connection, so I figure I'll get creamed by
someone with broadband.

> > Another possibility is have the
> > option for a message when an enemy comes within
> the city radius.
>
> As a popup? Wow, i DoS my enemy with popups.

Well, I say "option" and "message" very specifically:
this would be added to the "Message Options" menu in
the client, so the player could choose whether it goes
to Out, Mes, or Pop.  If he gets DoS'ed with popups
twice, that's his problem.

If your enemy is attacking from a road, he could
conceivably move say a horseman back and forth 3 times
in an out of the city radius to generate 3 messages.
But, what are you doing having an undefended road that
goes outside of view?