[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3565) End of turn moves

To: ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3565) End of turn moves
From: "John Wheeler" <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 05:40:19 -0700

--- Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 08:11:41PM -0700, John
> Wheeler wrote:
> >
> > [ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Fri Feb 28 19:03:32
> 2003]:
> > > i really dislike end of turn moves.
> > > People use that trick to get nearer to enemy
> cities and the defending
> > > person has no chance to react.
>
> React by moving a unit into the city? React by
> setting a unit on Goto? Or
> react by creating a unit or a city wall?
>
> One approach that comes to mind - but doesn't
> resolve everything - is, to
> *not* allow unit moves during last 10 seconds before
> timeout. This includes
> a delay of the new turn by 10 seconds, when
> everybody has clicked on turn
> done *before* timeout.
>
> In the last 10 seconds, only city management and
> gotos are allowed (the
> latter to be executed at the beginning of the next
> turn (as suggested for
> the new turn change model).
>
> IMHO, this also makes game fairer, because some
> people suffer from slow
> connection (and client?!) and do have a 'moving'
> timeout (you see some
> seconds on the clock, but cannot move anymore in
> this turn). These are even
> more concerned about surprise attacks.
>
> > You know, that's why pretty much as soon as I make
> first contact, I
> > build at least warriors in every city.  Sure, it
> costs a shield every
> > turn, but I generally think it's worth it to get
> some warning to react.
> >
> > One thing that might help is having a client
> option to automatically
> > focus when a new enemy comes into site.  Another
> possibility is have the
> > option for a message when an enemy comes within
> the city radius.
>
> The borders could be used for that. Some
> possibilities:
>
> - vision extended to own territory
>
> - Need war declaration of alliance to intrude other
> players territory.

Both are reasonable suggestions, but neither really
solves the problem.  Extending vision to borders is
fine for land attacks, but on the sea your border is
less than what you can see now.

Also, for the other suggestion, I liked the way that
Civ2 did it: you were free to invade other peoples
territory, but if you were at peace, they could ask
you to leave; if you accepted, all units in their
territory were bounced home; if you refused, they had
"causus bellum" to declare war on you without penalty.

++JohnWheeler