[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6200) disbanding a transporter must move its cargo

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6200) disbanding a transporter must move its cargo
From: "John Wheeler" <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:29:55 -0700

[bursig - Sun Sep 21 11:38:10 2003]:

> I use missiles as example and you can replace them other type of
> units.  Important is that B can't carry C, D but can cary A.
> When we allow subtransporting we must secure that players don't
> cheat and load to sea transport (max load 8) 6 land transporters
> (max load 4) with 4 tanks each.

Okay, I wasn't thinking in terms of land transporters being able to
carry anything other than missiles.  (And I've been such an advocate for
more generalization -- I don't know why I didn't see this.)  My original
thought to prevent cheating was that when you load one transport on
another, the units transported would be unloaded from the first and
loaded onto the second; if they can't be launched, it's all just cargo.
 But after some consideration I see that would either be a pain for the
users, or probably more difficult for the programmers than what you
suggested.

Part of my problem is that I never use missiles -- they seem awfully
expensive for something you can only use once.  By the time I get to
that stage in the game, I'm going on a massive bombing campaign --
assuming I didn't go on a massive bribing campaign as soon as I got
spies -- assuming I survived the initial onslaught.  (I'd rather lose
quick or win big than struggle for a long time -- WHEN I'm playing a
computer game.)

--

++JohnWheeler