[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5140) Help needs updating for AI diplomacy

To: jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5140) Help needs updating for AI diplomacy
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 07:46:12 -0700

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, John Wheeler wrote:
> Okay, here's a patch that should apply to today's CVS that has the
> modified helpdata.txt and adds a help menu entry for "Diplomacy" for the
> gtk2+ client.(My ability to test other clients is limited, so if
> someone wants that for another client, maybe they should do that.)

Very good! A few nitpicks:

+   - You can't make an alliance with a nation if you're not at \
+peace with them. \

This is only true for the AI, and it tells you what is wrong (more reasons
than above hints at). So I suggest this line is dropped.

+   - If you don't have an embassy, then you can't request any \
+advances.  If you do have an embassy, you can only offer the \
+advances the other nation doesn't know. \

How about: "If you don't have an embassy, then you can't request any
advances, but you can give your own freely, but be aware that you can
offer advances that the other party already has." Or something? The last
part of the above sentence is kinda obvious, IMHO.

+unless you really are ready to make war against them.  Don't \
+expect other nations to stay at peace with you if you bribe \
+their units, though.\

... or incite or poison their cities ... anything else that gives casus
bellum (reason for war)?

Also, the AI will not look kindly on you building a spaceship. If you do,
and you lead the race, it will declare war on you, even if you are its
ally!

  - Per