[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6200) disbanding a transporter must move its cargo

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6200) disbanding a transporter must move its cargo
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:14:52 -0700

Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

>>There is no reason to wipe the cargo of a ground units transporter which
>>is also itself a ground unit. Check that we are on ocean terrain.
>

> Should we rather check that we are in an opposite terrain (land for boats,
> sea for pedestrians)?  It could be that (small) ships are transported by
> land.  This is how Vikings got to Constantinople for example.

This is going to be a recurring problem for the transporter code.  Who
can transport whom, where, and what happens if they don't?

Currently there are two flags: F_CARRIER and F_MISSILE_CARRIER.  These
*seem* to work as so:

C  MC
0  0    ground units transporter
1  0    air & missile transporter
0  1    missile-only transporter
1  1    missile-only transporter

I'd rather see them done as completely independent flags:

   F_LAND_CARRIER
   F_SEA_CARRIER
   F_AIR_CARRIER
   F_HELO_CARRIER
   F_MISSILE_CARRIER

or some such.  Of course this will lead to lots more checks in the
transporter code unless some elegant coding is done.

jason