[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6174) Loading transports

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6174) Loading transports
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:35:24 -0700

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Jason Short wrote:
> As discussed on IRC, I think we need to clean up the current system
> (including removal of assign_units_to_transporter) before we can get
> into new behavior.

This is not possible. assign_units_to_transporter() is there for a reason.

Examples:
- if a ground transport is produced in a city with lots of sentried ground
units, are the sentried units to be considered transported?
- if you unsentry a ground unit in a sea transport, do you consider it
transported, or not?
- if you sentry a ground unit in a city containing two sea transporters
and one ground transporter, which unit now transports the first unit?

The answer to all these questions is, currently, 'no' and 'none'. The ugly
function mentioned above is there to resolve such issues. If you just
remove it, lots of stuff will break, and behaviour changes will ensue in
any case.

  - Per