[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6170) Alternative city square utilizations

To: jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6170) Alternative city square utilizations
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 05:27:43 -0700

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 08:32:45PM -0700, John Wheeler wrote:

> (This expands on an idea presented in PR#4539.)  In Colonization, small
> cities can't access all the squares around them.  I suggest the
> following utilization pattern as a possible alternative:
>
>  434
> 42124
> 31013
> 42124
>  434
>
> 0: City center
> 1: Accessible to cities size 1-4
> 2: ... size 5-8
> 3: ... size 9-12
> 4: ... size 13+

Why stopping at 4? Rom got resources from half of europe. I think a
model like the cities can share fields and can use fields with larger
distance could be fun.

> I think an even better (historically) idea is having squares produce
> declining resources the longer they're used. (This is the way gold is
> handled in *nix empire and gold and iron are handled in Serf City.)
> However, this would require a much more sophisticated resource model
> than is present in *civ.

Think that doesn't fit well with small numbers of production and food.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.