[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6170) Alternative city square utilizations

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6170) Alternative city square utilizations
From: "John Wheeler" <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:32:45 -0700

(This expands on an idea presented in PR#4539.)  In Colonization, small
cities can't access all the squares around them.  I suggest the
following utilization pattern as a possible alternative:

 434
42124
31013
42124
 434

0: City center
1: Accessible to cities size 1-4
2: ... size 5-8
3: ... size 9-12
4: ... size 13+

Personally, I HATE the idea of not being able to utilize the city
center, but I LOVE having units that can build new cities cost 2
population (especially when the worker function is seperate).

I think an even better (historically) idea is having squares produce
declining resources the longer they're used. (This is the way gold is
handled in *nix empire and gold and iron are handled in Serf City.)
However, this would require a much more sophisticated resource model
than is present in *civ.

--

++JohnWheeler