[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6006) Civ3: Map generator for strategic and luxury

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6006) Civ3: Map generator for strategic and luxury resources
From: "Marko Lindqvist" <marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 07:14:38 -0700

Egor Vyscrebentsov wrote:

> Please note, that in civ3:
> 1. Player don't see strategic resources, if he don't know required tech.

  Because of this, I grab land even more aggressively than in other civ
games. Bigger area -> bigger probability of securing invisible resources.
  I don't like civ3 style strategic resources at all. They make luck too
dominant factor. It's rather irritating when your technologically
mediocre tiny neighbour actually has better units than you. Invisible
resources makes this even worse as you can't even prepare for future by
conquering areas hosting resources. In civ3, you can at least buy those
resources (AI is stupid enought to sell resources to far more powerful
nation), but how would that work in freeciv?
  Anyway, if civ3 strategic resources are to be implemented, I don't
think their invisibility should be in initial (map generator) patch.
There should be separate ticket for that.

> 2. Strategic resources can be spended and can appear.

  Makes luck even more dominant factor. You fight desparately in order
to gain access to resource and then it vanishes.

  - Caz