[Freeciv-Dev] Re: unit animation file format

To: Lukas Tönne <lukas.toenne@xxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: unit animation file format
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 21:06:24 +0100 (WET DST)

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Lukas Tönne wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 31. August 2003 23:45 schrieben Sie:
> > That MNG size issue sounds very fishy. I suspect that app doesn't optimize
> > it properly.
>
> I used Image Magick 5.5.7 for that. Maybe i did something wrong, but i think
> this is a very good tool and should probably optimize it right, although i
> haven't seen this explicitly written anywhere. Do you know some tool that can
> surely do correct mng compression ?

Not really. I haven't used anything but Quicktime and AVI codecs
recently.

I believe MNG uses some sort of delta compression like some Quicktime
codecs and the old IFF ANIM format used to. This should compress animation
adequatly, but it is likely that just gziping the lot makes a better job.

Oh well. For us it is actually easier to just use PNG for the animations
as well since the loader code is already there. For artists there are more
tools with PNG than MNG support. So I guess this is not an issue.

---