[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5437) wishlist: new unit, the worker

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5437) wishlist: new unit, the worker
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 20:31:30 -0700

John Wheeler wrote:
> [alan.schmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Wed Aug 27 21:46:56 2003]:
>

>>* Marko Lindqvist (marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>>
>>>  IIRC civ3 settlers also cost 2 pop points and workers 1 pop point.
>>
>>Indeed, but unless I'm mistaken, in civ3 there is no food cost for them.
>

> I'm in the middle of a game with settlers costing 2 pop, no upkeep, and
> workers no pop, upkeep like (original) settlers.  I Really Like It.
> With this modification, I see no way to make smallpox work, as you give
> up two city squares to get two city squares, and you pay 40 shields for
> the privlege.

It'll stop smallpox but not ICS...

>  Making workers cost 1 pop when they cannot go back into
> cities would be very harsh; if you do allow them to add to cities but
> not found new ones, that'd be okay.

Hmm, I think disbanding a unit should give whatever population it cost
back into the city?  So a settlers with popcost 2 disbanded into a city
would give 2 new units?

But a newly-founded city has just 1 population either way.

>  Settlers being able to starve is
> extremely obnoxious when they cost 2 pop.  (Also, I did try one game
> with workers having no upkeep, and that was horrible.)

Interested in making a preliminary civ3 ruleset?

jason