[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#1469) Looking at the score

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#1469) Looking at the score
From: "John Wheeler" <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 19:59:10 -0700

> 1) Remove the /score command.

I'm not quite clear why this would be necessary, as it's only available
at ctrl level.  I would expect that for tournament play everyone would
only have info level anyway.

> 2) Have a menue command  Reports --> Score
> 3) Have a menue command  Reports --> Score (visible to all)

Either is acceptable to me, and I could even see having a server
variable to determine which is in effect, or more generally how
requests for scores are handled.  An additional possible behavior is
reporting score order without the actual scores.  (I mainly use /score
to figure out who to ally with; unlike the AI, I tend to align myself
with the most powerful nation(s), so knowing score rank is *very*
useful.)

> 4) Only show an average score for the last ten rounds, which is
> computed every five turns.
> 5) Show the score every ten(?) turns, like the other historian
> reports.

Hate them both!

> 6) Make the score part of the demographic report.
>
>    You can see the ranking and own points, but not points of other
> players (except you have embassy with the best)

I really like the idea of always being able to see your own numerical
score and rank on the demographics report.  (Making it part of the
demography variable is fine.)  I think if behavior is going to depend
on contact/embassies, the information should be presented through the
players dialog or intelligence report.

A really interesting (but probably very difficult) variation would be
to compute scores *based on your vision*.  So, you'd always get your
own score perfectly accurately, and that of anyone who is sharing
vision with you, but others would only be rough guesses (and perhaps
could be marked with a '?' to indicate such).  (Of course, this would
definitely go better when the score report only goes to the one
requesting.)

More generally, I think this brings up the question of how to be
selective about how (much) information is shared.  The answer is
definitely not obvious to me.

--

++JohnWheeler