[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4387) Suggestion for deterministic moves

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4387) Suggestion for deterministic moves
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 09:02:27 -0700

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 11:01:27AM -0700, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

> I would like to draw the Design Boarders' attention to the issue of random
> moves.
>
> Below I
> 1. Give an overview of the current mode.
> 2. Give overview of the proposals.
> 3. Give some arguments for the change and discuss some of the arguments
> against it.
>
> /************************* Proposal ******************************/
>
> The proposal is to implement a system where no probability is needed.
> There are three possible flavours:
> 1. Strict -- only moves with 100% probability will succeed.
> 2. Fast -- as long as C > 0, the move will succeed.
> 3. Mixed -- move will suceed if probability > threshold value.
>
> Civ3 has chosen flavour 2.

I don't like 2.

I would prefer 3 with default 50/100 and the possibility to use values
for 0 - 100.

> PRO:
>
> 1. Reduction in the complexity of the current code -> less bugs and
> crashes.
> 2. Non-ambiguous definition of the shortest route.
> 3. Ability to display correct #turns a path will take.
> 4. Working "dangerous routes" for triremes.
> 5. Better AI:

6. Removing of a random factor in the game.

> AGAINST:
>
> 1. Not civ2 compatible  <-  this smells of fundamentalist and anyway civ3
> have ditched the random moves.

We can't be 100% compatible, because we don't want to implement all
bugs.

> 2. Upsets game balance  <-  not by much, especially if we use mixed model
> with threshold 1/2.  And there are other way to restore game balance.

I don't think that the removal from the random factor changes much in
the game.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.