[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] Mercenaries (and few questions)

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Adam Czachorowski <gislan@xxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] Mercenaries (and few questions)
From: John Wheeler <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 06:50:56 -0700 (PDT)

--- Adam Czachorowski <gislan@xxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
> Some time ago there was a poll at freeciv.org about
> ASCII client of
> freeciv. Will someone do this (ASCII client is IMHO
> great idea)? :D

Nikodimka is working on it.  See
http://lists.complete.org/freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx/2003/08/msg00677.html.gz

> And my new idea for Freeciv (should I send it to
> Desing Board?):

I suggest logging into rt.freeciv.org and creating a
new ticket with the subject "Wishlist: mercenaries".

> Mercenaries! If city has tavern (new building) you
> can buy units without
> stoping construction in this city. Also price should
> be lower. Upkeep of
> these units shouldn't cost food or shields, but gold
> and should depend on
> unit type. Of course there should be also limit of
> such units, i.e: each
> nation can recruit only 3 or 5 units per week. This
> idea will make gold
> more important and will provide good defence from
> the sneak attack. What
> do you think about it?

I think there will need to be a "Mercenary" flag in
units.ruleset for ones that can be bought this way --
for Warriors, mercenaries makes perfect sense, for
Bombers it's completely ludicrous.  As a quicker
alternative, you could just only allow this for units
with no shield upkeep cost, but that would be severely
limited in the default ruleset.

I also don't like an arbitrary per nation limit; I'd
prefer something like 1 per city with tavern per turn.
 Or, have no limit, but double the cost for each
successive unit bought by a nation in that turn.

Personally, I don't see much benefit to my own style
of playing, as I generally am building settlers or
caravans, or have a good defender in every city and a
good network of roads to send reinforcements.
However, I do think this idea would favor largepox
(especially if no limit), so I think it's probably
worth doing eventually.

++JohnWheeler