[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4770) client-side patrol routes aren't safe

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4770) client-side patrol routes aren't safe
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:10:03 -0700

Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Jason Short wrote:
>

>>Here's a patch that IMO makes it better (though not perfect; see the FIXME).
>
> Yes.  But if the starting segment of the patrol route was made using
> waypoints, the "way back" ignores them.  Which is not altogether bad.

Yes, it is a behavior change - an intentional one.

> Also, I think add_part takes into account different moves_left (as much
> as it can, given the random nature of things), so your FIXME isn't that
> bad.

There's no problem with add_part AFAIK (if there were, then waypoints
wouldn't work as it is now).  The problem is once you're on the second
cycle of the loop, any danger paths are likely to be invalid since
you'll end your turns at different locations.

This is harder to fix.  Perhaps you could continue plotting circles
(with all waypoints) until you end up at the same starting location
_with the same number of MP_.  But I believe it's possible that this
would never happen.  A foolproof solution would be even more complicated.

jason