[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4800) Wishlist: Know technology on contact

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4800) Wishlist: Know technology on contact
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 12:05:51 -0700

When you have diplomatic meetings without embassy, you do not know the
technologies of the player you meet with. This leads to three problems:
  - If you give him techs, next turn you apparently have the option of
giving him the same techs again. Particularily annoying for allies who
want to tech share.
  - You try to give the other player techs in exchange for something else,
but he already has these techs. Confusion ensues as the other party
refuses to agree to a deal that on the face of it seems perfectly
equitable.
  - Conversely, he does not know your techs, and may try to give you lots
of crap techs you don't need.

I see two solutions to this. The first is to give all players who can meet
knowledge of the other player's techs. This is drastic but clean. The
second is to record (in the server) which techs you have already given the
other player, so that you will have knowledge of his possession of these
techs in the future. The second solution only solves the first (but most
important) of the problems above, however, and there is no good saying
where to stop this feature (should we also "know" it has techs required
for units of his that we can observe? etc).

Please advise.

  - Per

"This is the future for the world we're in at the moment,"
promised Lawrence Di Rita, special assistant to Rumsfeld.
"We'll get better as we do it more often."