[Freeciv-Dev] Re: FreeCiv Graphics/Sound

To: David Loftus <dloftus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: FreeCiv Graphics/Sound
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 14:12:22 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003, David Loftus wrote:
> Okay, help me out. First shot at any developing of graphics/sound for
> FreeCiv, and wanted to make sure I have a feel of how things work. I
> went ahead and made up a new radar.xpm for the beginning screen that
> looks a bit nicer, and also would like to work on some sounds. I haven't
> uploaded anything to the ftp development server until I know someone
> would actually be able to take a look at it (Just let me know?).
> Concerning sounds, which do you need (I know there's a soundspec file
> that lists a few blanks, curious if those are it). I'm sure I can come
> up with a few.
>
> I figure between a few nice graphics and some useful sounds (And
> apparently we need sounds?), I could contribute a bit. Any answers to
> the previous comments would be appreciated.

Hi,

Just upload your creations to incoming in ftp and then send an email here
with an URL pointing to it, and explaning what it is. Also add a copyright
notice, saying it was made by whoever made it, and distributed with a
usable license (such as GPL or public domain).

As for sound, we really need all kinds of sounds. If you read the
soundspec file, you will notice that lots and lots of units share the same
attack sounds. Ideally, each unit should have its own attack sound. But I
think all units of the same move type should share move sound, we lack a
air unit move sound though (I think).

Each building and wonder should ideally have its own sound when it is
completed (we might play this when you open a city dialog with a completed
building of this type).

  - Per

"This is the future for the world we're in at the moment,"
promised Lawrence Di Rita, special assistant to Rumsfeld.
"We'll get better as we do it more often."