Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3603) don't send the capital in short_city

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3603) don't send the capital in short_city
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:11:58 -0700

[kauf - Tue Mar  4 04:07:23 2003]:

> here's a patch for an issue I mentioned a while back.
>
> currently, whenever a player comes into contact with a city, the server
> tells that player if the city has a palace in it.
>
> for one, this is bad, because the player really should never know this
> without spying.
> for two, this is bad, because the client never actually uses this info:
> without hacking the client (AFAIK), the player is blissfully unaware
(so if
> your "hidden" capital is getting systematically getting attacked on
> pubserver, you have an explanation...)
> for three, this is bad because the client never removes the improvement
> from the city, so a player can end up with enemy city lists full of
> palaces.
>
> It compiles, and the game doesn't seem to crash after several turns and
> contact, so...

The short_city packet is sent to players who can't see the city
internals; the city_info packet is sent to players who can.

As explained elsewhere, the client does need to know this information
for diplomacy and such.  Until that issue is resolved we cannot remove
this information from the short_city packet.

jason