Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4684) client-side air goto

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4684) client-side air goto
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:24:23 -0700

[glip - Mon Apr 28 17:02:32 2003]:

> On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
>
> > Can you add the ability to use AIR_MOVING units with
> > simple_unit_path_iterator, please? I need it for some fancy code I'm
> > brewing.
> >
> >   - Per
>
> I actually thought about it this morning (in the connection with having
> air units paths in the client).  The danger code (when debugged) can be
> used for it, but I am not so sure about bombers (fuel>1).  I am also not
> sure how fast this would be compared with the present airgoto.c code.
>
> Of course things are much simpler if you want to iterate only within
> one-turn horizon.  Above I am talking about complicated gotos which
refuel
> stops.

Refuel stops are easy if fuel==1.  With fuel==2 things are more
complicated, but perhaps a simple solution would be to just pretend
fuel==1.  A "real" solution would be not-too-different from the "real"
helicoptor solution, I think.

Using carriers as refueling bases is sketchy.  Since the route is only
calculated once by the client before being sent to the server you're
assuming the carrier will not move while you're in transit.  Even if it
goes one tile away you will crash and burn.

jason