Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4669) more restrict borders politic

To: bursig@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4669) more restrict borders politic
From: "Guest" <rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:46:25 -0700

[bursig - Thu Jul 24 17:27:19 2003]:

> 1) all (land and sea) city terrains belong to your territory.

This is bad because of compatibility with other games and that narrow waters
will be impassable.

> 2) city workers can work only on your territory.

This is bad because they should be able to work on neutral territory.

> 3) new cities can only be build on neutral, your and allied territory.

This is bad because it must be possible to build cities on enemie's territory.
That is an act of war.

I suggest you produce a useful border patch instead, like:
1. Don't draw borders between claimed and unclaimed territory if the border
would be along a coast. (Borders along coasts should of course be displayed
if they are borders between different players.) Remove the 5-adjacent kludge.
2. Add a variable for territory radius from sea bases. Some other games have
radius 7 on land for land bases and radius 4 on sea for sea bases. I don't
see that option in Freeciv.

A general approach might be to use 4 variables:
1. Land radius for land bases (default 7).
2. Sea radius for land bases (default 1).
3. Sea radius for sea bases (default 4).
4. Land radius for sea bases (default 0).

Setting all those 4 variables to the same value would produce the behaviour
that you seem to desire, while the default values would produce a compatible
behaviour desired by Ben Webb, me and others.
--
Erik