Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2479) Change version string of development versions

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2479) Change version string of development versions
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:08:43 -0700

Since other methods have so far failed to be implemented, here is a
simple patch to change the CVS HEAD version to 1.14.99-devel.  Although
not optimal, I think we can all agree it's better than 1.14.1-devel
(which is too easily confused with 1.14.1).  I don't think I've missed
anywhere, but it's hard to be sure.

It would be possible to have the version "automatically" updated, e.g.
"cvs-yymmdd" or some such...but to do this right means moving the
version information out of config.h and version.h and into version.c.
Right now every time the version changes everything has to be
recompiled, which is bad.  Of course there are other problems as well,
as discussed earlier in the bug...

jason