Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4543) scaling overview map

To: andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4543) scaling overview map
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:07:18 -0700

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> This is an interesting suggestion. I would do it different, though. Keep the
> minimap in the topleft corner but let it steal a rectangle from the top left
> corner of the main map. It is important that this rectangle is *not* part of
> the main map any longer, so that units cannot appear/blink here. Like this:
> But I fear, neither GTK nor the window manager support such window forms? I
> dislike the overlapping mini map you suggested, because this *will* conflict
> with the handling of the main map, units and so on. Fx units getting active
> are not visible, because they are below that window.

This shouldn't be a GTK/WM issue (however I guess you won't get a
detachable minimap, but who uses that anyway).

Declaring parts of the mapview to be "inactive" in this way has a lot of
potential uses. For example, in SDL client, the buttons can be drawn over
inactive and dimmed parts of the map, allowing the user to see more of the
map at once, or declare anything under that floating text box to be
inactive.

  - Per