Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3936) introducing native coordinates

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3936) introducing native coordinates
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:39:56 -0700

[jdorje - Tue Jul  1 20:33:18 2003]:

> [jdorje - Sat Apr  5 03:48:14 2003]:
>
> > Native coordinates (sometimes called "compressed" coordinates in the
> > past) are a concept Ross came up with to make isometric (and other
> > non-standard) maps easier to deal with.  They save around 50% memory
> > (and on disk, in savegames) for map storage over "standard" map
> > coordinates and make topology operations *much* simpler.  Other
> > coordinate systems may share one of these properties, but none have
> > both.  In the process, they invalidate the need for "regular" map
> positions.
> >
> > The patch introduces native_to_map_pos and map_to_native_pos macros into
> > map.h, along with one very simple user.  I've also written an
> > explanation of the coordinate systems for doc/HACKING.  I'd like
> > feedback on this explanation, particularly from people who don't already
> > know what "native coordinates" are.
>
> Discussion on this design died a while ago.  And what's worse, most of
> it's not associated with the RT ticket for some reason.  Raimar, what
> was your final position on this?

This new version of the patch adds an introductory explanation of
rectangular and iso-rectangular maps to doc/HACKING.  I seem to remember
this was asked for (and it's obviously needed).  But again, all of this
discussion is lost somewhere...

Using native coordinates in this way is a significant design decision.
After years of study this is what Ross and I agree is the best design.
But everyone should understand the system before we go forward...

jason