Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Status of SDLClient

To: Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Status of SDLClient
From: Bursig Rafal <bursig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 23:51:59 +0200

Hi all

Ok... here are some info about my work on SDL Client (many people ask about it)

Client is playable ( almost :) ) even in muliplayer. Should be build without any errors ( ok.. current debug=yes will break becouse I don't commit some remove log.h patch from some files but debug=some and debug=no will go )

Still some dlgs are missed but we can play without it ( or not :( ).

Bugs:
- Log window is draw above nations dlg becouse I made there ugly hack and don't have time to correct it ( rewrite nations dlg ) - There is some bug in move window with scrollbar code but fixing it wont be easy and require some changes in widget system. - Next problem is log window, I try found this @#$%^$^ bug for many weaks and still something missing :(
- more :(

Some new future (for those people that don't know)
- some client comand line options ( ok... 2 comnads: start fullscreen 800x600 and events in other thread for linux/beos )
- scallable minimap.
- use of mmx1 instruction (where avilable and only when build from source) - I have some mmx1 code for SDL lib, if someone want it then just say :)

Dlgs that work :
- Connect Dlg.
- Option Dlg.
- City Dlg.
- Worklist Dlg.
- City Rep.
- Units Rep.
- Players Rep.
- Intel. Dlg.
- Diplomacy Dlg.
- Economy Rep.
- Science Rep.
- Top 5 Cities.
- Wonders of Word.
- News.
- Demography
- Find City.
- Units Dlgs (caravans, settlers, spys/diplomats, etc )
- more ( those that I forgot here and don't write in TODO part )

As I know there is no problem with win32 port of this client. Per have better info about it.

BIG TODO :
- CMA Dlg. ( initial work )
- Goto City Dlg.
- Airlift City Dlg.
- Help Dlg. (need new graphics)
- SpaceShip Dlg. (need new graphics)
- Nuke Explosion. (need new graphics)
- Correct, clean and finish deluxe tilesets (need new graphics)

with some new code in cvs:
- add support for units gold unkeep. (city dlg. units dlg)
- add support for borders in minimap . (minimap)
- update_conn_list_dialog - mabe after Client/server auth. pach I make some batte.net like dialog (witch chat , players list and setup server, start game,join server/chnge chanel and disconnect buttons ) where pubservers will work as chat chanels. Problem : server settings API.

widget sytem:
- fix move window with scrollbar ( scrollbar->min and scrollbar->max aren't change by move_window code ) - add better key support (menu kebard control and more - this wont be easy but I made some first steps for it)

Small TODO :
- update timeout label.
- turn done button animation.
- rewrite connection dlg.
- rewrite nations dlg. ( legend support )
- rewrite options dlg.
- rewrite or remove log window.
- rewrite tech goals dlg (make it like next tech to reserach dlg.)
- add reserched techs status dlg.

- put_city_workers - ???
- put_cross_overlay_tile - ???

Long term TODO :
- add sound support to widgets system (buttons pressed , open window,
etc ).
- add chat subwindow/subsystem.
- rewrite "Top 5 Cities" and "Wonders of Word" net protocol - server shouldn't send strings only ids. I need know what wonders icon and what nation color use for "Wonders of Word" , what wonders have "Top 5 Cities" , etc. After that rewrite those dlgs. - split gui_stuff.c to sub files. (each widget type should have own file) - add support for units animation. (need new graphics: move, commbat, work, etc)
- split tileset code to map tileset and rest.
- add default worklist widget to new city name dlg.
- start new game from strat menu, run server as :
     * other thread ?
     * other proces
     * telnet/ssh to other PC and run server
- load game from start menu. (see run server as)
- add load/save via client options.
- show unload order icon only when ship is loaded.
- better demography ( graphs )
- units report in city rep. ( garrison report )
- citizens report in city rep. ( happynes )
- more ...

About much things I forgot say here :)
I think that there are many bugs but most of them will show with better testing and for that I need YOU :)

Have fun and don't call me if your cpu will burn.

yours lazy
Rafal