Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Units requiring more than one tech

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Units requiring more than one tech
From: Morgan Jones <morgan.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 10:59:33 +1300

On  2/06/2003, you wrote:

> Just pondering that another way to do this would be to implement "no
> cost" technologies. These are techs that would become available
> instantly when the previous techs are all complete. You'd probably
> want to specify, as well, whether these techs count toward the total
> count of techs researched. Then you could simply say that the "free
> tech" allows the unit.
>
> I don't know which might be better and/or easier to implement.
> Sounds like a cool idea, though.

Thanks.  Yeah, this would be another way to do it, and would really
open up the possibilities of modpacks.

I do agree with Per though; it is not essential that changes such as
these are made at this stage.  It's not worth messing up the code for
the sake of an option.  The developers are doing a great job and I
wouldn't want to disturb them, at least until I can get my hands on
1.15.0 :)

So in the mean time I'm using something akin to Gregory's suggestion
(e.g. splitting Chivalry into Chivalry, Samurai Code and Pronoia).

One question I have though:  In the version I'm using (1.14.0), techs
that have "Never" listed as their reqs are removed from the tech tree,
as are any later techs that require them.  I found a ticket (2433) in
RT that discusses this issue, so it may be that it has been resolved
in subsequent updates.  Can anyone confirm this for me?

(I can't use later versions of Freeciv at this stage because AFAIK the
Amiga client is broken at the moment).

     - Morgan